top of page

Over 60s Yellows
Manager: Bob Hodges


Results (League Cup)

Finals Day


Falcons 2 (Thornton, Bell), Southend 0


Falcons 1 (Ackery), Billericay 1

(won on penalties)


Falcons 0, Wakering 1

Falcons Yellows 60s played their final matches of the season in the league challenge cup. 

In the quarter final, we faced Southend. Both teams played in a competitive spirit and were evenly matched early on. However, Falcons began to gain more possession as the half wore on and eventually this paid off as Gary Bell beat his defender and squared to Barry Thornton who turned and fired home left footed. After a tactical chat at half time, Eastwood resumed strongly and looked to isolate their last defender one on one. The tactic finally worked as Gary was freed one on one and took on his defender and struck the ball firmly into the bottom corner to make it 2-0. Southend battled to get back in the game but solid defending by Gareth Ackery and Steve Hearne kept them at bay and put Falcons through to the semi final.

In the semi final, Eastwood faced Billericay Town and dominated first-half possession but with Billericay  dangerous on the break. Falcons thought they had broken the deadlock when Gary beat his defender and fired into the corner but bizarrely the referee blew for a foul on Gary, disallowed the goal and gave Eastwood a free kick. Then Billericay were fortunate to go unpunished when a defender stepped into the area to clear the ball. 0-0 at half time. In the second half, the pattern was the same and the Billericay keeper kept them in the game with  fine saves from Colin, Gary and Barry. However midway through Billericay broke as Eastwood lost possession and slid the ball past Marc to take the lead. Colin came off for Norman Tree as Eastwood sought an equaliser but the keeper continued to be in fine form. Eastwood had another penalty appeal turned down as a Billericay defender clearly moved into the area to try to intercept a corner. Time was running out but with less than a minute to go Gary set up Gareth from a free kick just outside the area and the ball went low and hard into the bottom corner. The final whistle followed 1-1 and it was down to penalties. Barry scored the first, then Marc saved the 1st from Billericay. Gareth then made it 2-0 . Billericay scored 2-1. Norman then scored but it was disallowed for taking an extra step. Billericay equalised 2-2. It was now sudden death. Gary scored for 3-2 and Billericay then struck the post with their penalty-Eastwood were through to the final.

In the final, Eastwood again faced league winners Wakering to whom they had lost in the final on penalties last year. As ever it was a tight competitive match with Wakering pressing high in their attempt to stop Eastwood feeding their strikers. Defences were in control first half and it was 0-0 at half time. Tim replaced the injured Steve at half time. The game continued to be very tight and Marc made some fine saves as Eastwood gave away possession on a couple of occasions. Both teams were evenly matched but as the game went into the last 30 seconds, Eastwood lost possession in a key position and the Wakering striker was freed one on one with Marc and slid the ball under him to take the lead. It was so late in the game that as soon as Eastwood kicked off the final whistle was blown leaving Falcons runners up for the second consecutive year.
Squad: Marc Waldron, Steve Hearne, Gareth Ackery, Tim Fewster, Barry Thornton, Colin Foley, Norman Tree, Bob Hodges and Gary Bell.
Thanks to Steve Williams, Mick Roberts, Ken Anderson and Fred Thicklebroom our loyal supporters on the day.
It has been a strong season for the ageing Yellows 60s and the whole squad should be proud of their achievements - runners up in the cup, 3rd in the league by just one point and Regional finalists in the National cup losing to the eventual finalists. There has been tremendous commitment and a great team ethos.

Screen Shot 2023-03-29 at 10.00.43 AM.png


April 18

Falcons 2 (Thornton, Ackery), Southend 1 (Thornton o.g.)

Falcons 0, Chelmsford 0

Falcons 4 (Bell 2, Ackery, Tree) Billericay 0

May 9

Falcons 0, Cheshunt 0

Falcons 1 (Foley), Norwich 0

Falcons 1 (Bell), Norwich 0

June 20

Falcons 1 (Thornton), Romford 3

Falcons 2 (Bell, Tree), Southend 1

Falcons 0, Billericay 0

Falcons 1 (Bell), Wakering 3

July 4

Falcons 1 (Bell), Orient 0

Falcons 1 (Thornton), Cheshunt 2

Falcons 0, Chelmsford 0

Sept 5

Falcons walkover vs Norwich

Falcons 1 (Ackery), Romford 0

Falcons 1 (Ackery), Wakering 1


Falcons 2 (Thornton, Hodges), Cheshunt 1

National Cup

April 18

​v Billericay drew 1-1(Bell)

Won on penalties 3-2


June 22

Falcons 2 (Foley, Bell), Norwich 4 Sports 1

August 12, Regional Final

Norwich 4, Falcons 1 (Hodges)

League Cup, Oct 3 (group stage)

Falcons 0, Norwich 0

Falcons 3 (Foley 2, Bell), Blackmore 0

Falcons 1 (Foley), Cheshunt 3

League Cup  Oct 31 (finals)


Falcons 2 (Thornton, Bell), Southend 0


Falcons 1 (Ackery), Billericay 1

(won on penalties)


Falcons 0, Wakering 1

bottom of page